See New York City like never before in the Shorewalker’s epic urban hike, The Great Saunter! On Saturday May 2nd 2015 celebrate the 30th annual Great Saunter, covering 32-miles of beautiful waterfront and more than 20 parks along Manhattan’s incredible shorelines. Raise awareness of our parks, maintain the Westside promenades, restore the Eastside Greenway, redevelop the Harlem River, and connect the Greenway into a continuous path around the world’s most fascinating island!
Membership and Participation
- Membership to Shorewalkers must be in current standing to participate in the Great Saunter (renewals are required for expired memberships on or before May 2, 2015).
- Online registration for the Great Saunter includes a one-year membership to Shorewalkers.
- Guests who register online before April 14, 2015 will receive their Great Saunter materials by US Mail to the address in your member profile.
- Guests who register after April 14, 2015 must bring their registration receipt to the Registration Site on the day of the event to receive their materials.
- Day of the event registration (participants who register on May 2nd in person) for the Great Saunter will not include a membership or a renewal to Shorewalkers.
- All registrations by US Mail (renewals or new memberships) must be received by March 20, 2015 (6 weeks in advance of The Great Saunter) to allow time for processing.
Registration: Follow this link to register for the Great Saunter by joining Shorewalkers or signing in to your account: https://shorewalkers.org/shorewalkers-hiking-club
7:00 A.M. Registration Opens-The Porterhouse at Fraunces Tavern (54 Pearl Street--Broad Street; New York NY 10004)7:30 A.M. The Great Saunter begins!!!9:30 A.M. Late Registration (West 42nd Street & Hudson Greenway by the Circle Line Terminal) 11:00 A.M Pass beneath Riverbank State Park (West 138th Street--restrooms available on the upper level in the park)12:00 P.M. Break-The Little Red Lighthouse (at the George Washington Bridge/West 178th Street) 1:00 P.M. Break-Inwood Hill Park: near the flagpole (West 214th Street) and Registration for Half Saunter (South)4:00 P.M. Break-Carl Schurz Park on the East River Promenade (south side of the park at East 84th Street)7:00 P.M. Certificates handed out and celebrate your Saunter at The Porterhouse at Fraunces Tavern!
Interactive Map: The Great Saunter: a 32 mile walk around Manhattan's Shoreline
KCET-TV broadcast: The Great Saunter
The New Yorker: Above and Beyond: The Great Saunter
For even more information, preparation, news articles, pictures go to our Great Saunter Page by clicking on: The Great Saunter